Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Great Mattress Experiment

Because our mattress situation has sunk (ha!) to the point of becoming desperately desperate, the husband and I succumbed to desperate measures over the weekend (and no, I did by no means overuse the word desperate there). It is what it is. We didn't turn to credit cards or in-store financing- although the temptation has been great- we simply asked ourselves what we could afford at this time in our lives. The best we could come up with?

An air mattress.

We went to Walmart where only crazy people on a Saturday venture (the only description that fits people willing to stand in one of three check-out lines open in a thirty-eight register store) and bought a queen size, comfort plush (oooh) air mattress for forty dollars. We discarded our old mattress with little ceremony and placed the air bed on top of the box spring. On top went our well-used, four-inch foam/pillow top and away we went. The electric pump is built in to the head of the mattress so it is rather handy to use- gone are the days of the bicycle or foot pump.

I immediately took a nap. It really did feel that good.

Then night came along and the husband joined me.

It no longer felt that good.

When he climbed in, my side went up (and there's really not a huge difference in our weight- just enough to make a difference, I guess). For two nights he slept like a baby while I teetered on the top of an over-sized balloon. Last night I told him something had to give... namely the air in that bed. He let some air out and I agreed to put some back in and we finally reached something of a compromise. We laughed to ourselves as we considered the concept of the Sleep Number bed (so that's what the fuss is all about) and said our good nights.

Good grief, did I ever sleep good.

My hips don't hurt, at least the way they usually do of a morning. The mere fact that I am up blogging before I go to work says wonders... not to mention the fact that I am announcing to the virtual world that I actually sleep on an air mattress by choice. I honestly don't know how long we'll be able to ride this cheap and quick fix that we've stumbled upon. It might get old really quick. It might be over in the next few months, but until my paycheck picks up again, it's not a bad decision.

Even if it is a decision based on a lot of hot air. =)

1 comment:

TARYTERRE said...

We considered doing that too. Glad it's working out.