Friday, August 19, 2011

Do Cat Ladies Have Fun?

Week One has come to an end and it's almost as if summer vacation never happened. We've had tired kids, hungry kids, and sometimes grumpy kids. I gotta hand it to them, though. If I were not here, they would carry on just fine. Up every day on their own and ready to go. I remember back when they were in first and second grades and I had them fixing their own school lunches. They had it down to a science: sandwich, chips, apple, and cookies (or something along those lines). I also remember teaching the oldest how to make my coffee when he was in the fourth grade. That boy could run a coffee pot! His coffee duties went by the wayside when I bought a machine with a fancy grinder and nowadays with my Keurig, well... even the cat could probably be trained to push the flashing blue button. Anyway, I never cease to be amazed by them all.

I remember times when they were younger and how tired I was all the time. Bath times, the brushing of the teeth, and the elusive art of keep one kid in particular in bed practically wore me out. When I think of how many times that child got up and down, up and down: I need a drink, Mom. I gotta go to the bathroom, Mom. I might be sick, Mom. Oh my, there were nights I thought I might lose my mind! And before that we suffered through those hard times known as colic (one kid) and chicken pox (two kids) and middle-of-the-night bad dreams (all three kids). Nothing unusual, I know, but I think every mom thinks she is the one that will literally crack before the first child ever heads off to kindergarten. Sleep becomes a sacred event.

We've had cystic fibrosis scares and talk of brain tumors and the reality of alopecia areata. We've been through countless dogs, numerous stray cats, and one episode of having chickens. We're on our third set of braces (two kids), have been through one back-type brace (one kid), and have made trips to the emergency room (all three kids). We've had bunk beds and mini vans and swing sets.

After this year it will be two kids in high school and one in college. One kid is preparing to move out while another anticipates having his own room for the very first time. Of course, we wiser people understand that those two who have been inseparable will have a hard time being separated. Already best friends and they don't quite realize it yet. Yes, indeed, it is quite the pleasure watching these kids grow.

And now here I sit with two sleeping cats on either side of me.
It's a good thing my kids are doing well.
I may be the one having issues in a few years.

No comments: