Forty candles on a cake. Not a big deal, I know. My aunt keeps reminding me that at least I'm still around for another birthday. Family and friends older than me say forty is young. My kids think forty is old. I just don't know what to think.
I always thought by forty I would have it all figured out. Now I feel kinda like my son will feel in about ten years. You know... that feeling you get somewhere in your mid-to-late twenties when you realize that you didn't quite have it all figured out at seventeen? That's where he's at. Seventeen and knows it all. That's not a bad place to be. We just all know that sooner or later reality sets in.
I didn't quite expect reality to set in so quickly with me. I'm feeling the need to re-invent myself, I'm just not sure what that self should be. No longer a teacher, no longer a faithful church member, no longer a granddaughter. I can honestly say that I feel lost in my own life. If my hair wasn't red, I do believe I might try it blonde just to have something different.
And I have nothing to complain about. Absolutely nothing. I could go on, but I would sound like a broken record. Great family, faithful cat, rocking chair front porch. I'm starting to think I may be my own worse enemy. How does a person get over the nothing part and move on to the something? I know it's out there. I just can't seem to find it.
So I write this blog and love my family and drink my non-fat lattes while I try to unravel the mess that brought my once content life to a screeching halt. My daughter sits down beside me for the sole purpose of patting me on the head. You're getting those time-to-go blues, she said. She knows me very well. My birthday just happens to coincide with the time that we are packing up to head back home. That could be part of my problem.
At least for now.
3 comments:
Sis, I think you should write a book about your life. You are so good at your blog's I think you would make a great author. Plus when you get your book pulished, I can ask for your autograph. LOL
Believe it or not, I really admire you. I think you have everything you need and want, and you don't really complain about anything.
I wished I could have some of your faith and guidance. To get me through this crazy world.
Your
Brother
If it helps, the decade from age 40 to 50 was one of the best periods of my life, although I got off to a rocky start with rebellious teens. My oldest grandkids were born. With the kids out of the house, Cliff and I had more money to spend than ever before and more quality time together. Aches and pains of old age had not even started yet.
Hi Angela,
If it's any consolation, at 57, I am living parallel to your life. It isn't about the number of candles on your cake, that's for sure. :) It's learning to re-define who we are, what will the next phase of life bring, and being OPEN to that still, small voice of The Holy Spirit's leading on to new adventures.
Keep challenging yourself, quesitoning, trying new things...it's the best teacher, Angela. You ARE one amazing woman and, even though we haven't seen each other in an age, you inspire me through your writing to do just that...
Post a Comment