Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hugs, Kleenex, and Chocolate

My boy gave me a hug today voluntarily. My boy that is now taller than me. Funny how you can watch them grow and yet not realize how much they've grown till you have to reach your arms up to hug them back.

Then I hugged my other boy. The other boy who has been taller than me for quite some time. Didn't quite realize just how tall he was till I noticed I could practically rest my head on his shoulder.

So as not to make anybody feel left out, I hugged my girl. The one who can look me square in the eye. Felt kind of weird to be on equal ground with her. I'm sure she'll pass me by within a few months.

It was just a huggy kind of night around here. Made me think of all those times I purposely arrived late for church services just so I could miss the welcome song and all the hugs. I'm not exactly the kind of person who freely gives and accepts hugs. You may love Jesus and I may love Jesus, but a handshake will suit me just fine. That's just the way I am.

Except for tonight. I think I could have went on hugging each member of my family, one by one. Maybe difficult times do have a way of bringing everyone together. Well, technically, I was the one having a difficult time, but hey... I guess watching your mom melt into a puddle of goo makes the family rally around her. At least that's how it went down at our house.

The hugs sure did help, though. That and the endless supply of kleenex. Oh, and the chocolate cake my daughter made after the hugs had exhausted themselves and the kleenex supply ran low.

I've trained my daughter well.

Kleenex and chocolate make the world a happier place.

No comments: