Sunday, December 26, 2010

Packing Away Christmas

Well, baby and family have headed back home and we are on our final week of The Visit Home. I listen to my dad talk on the phone and my mom and girl discuss Farmville and think about how different everything will be this time next Sunday. I'm still trying to figure out a way to stay.

Take the extra bedroom in Mom and Dad's house, for instance. I was thinking last night how easy it would be to swap out the full size bed for a couple of twin beds. In my mind I had it all decorated and fixed up. Of course, this scenario only included my girl and me because naturally the boys would want to head back home with their dad. I was trying to calculate how many weeks might go by before I desperately missed my husband. I decided instead of weeks it would probably be more like days. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I didn't like him so much. I know I would never stay behind without him. Too bad.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The morning hours have turned into the late afternoon hours. Mom is packing up her Christmas stuff and telling me stories about where and how she acquired most of them. I try to remember all of this. I also note how she carefully packs and sorts her tree ornaments and wonder why I seemed to have missed that gene. Dad is in his recliner and the cats roam freely now that baby and family (and dogs) have went home. Tomorrow we'll help take down the Christmas lights and pack away the decorations in the garage. Another holiday season has come to an end.

Well, almost to an end. I'm hoping to get in a little post-holiday shopping with Mom and I still have a birthday to celebrate this week. New Year's Eve will come and go and we'll head back to that dirty word called reality. With the changing of the calendar we will hope for a better year to come... even if I can't fix up that extra bedroom.

No comments: