Monday, August 20, 2012

I Could Die Happy

After I dropped the kids off at school this morning (the first day!), I headed to our local history museum to begin volunteer work. I figured that as long as I'm not working, I might as well break up the week by doing something that I enjoy and may I say,

I absolutely loved it.

Granted it was three hours of sitting in an isolated office by myself behind a computer screen, but hey... that is right up my alley. The project assigned to me, at least for today, dealt with a massive postcard collection. As I scanned pictures and entered data, I read the backs of cards I could somewhat decipher. The earliest card I saw had a postmark of 1906 and several were stamped during the world war years. Because our area has a military post, I read more than one that went along the lines of Don't bother to write me back because I will have already shipped out or I sure hope I get to see you one more time before I leave. I'm telling you, it's that kind of stuff that floats my boat. As I was finishing up (just for today; this project will take months), I found one from the 1960s that went something like the white people here are horrible which made me chuckle a bit. I'm guessing that person had a particularly bad day.

What struck me, though, was the thought that we all leave something behind. Like the 1906 card... over a hundred years old! Just think, somebody took the time to drop a line (and this one ended with Be a good girl) and there it was, in my hands, today! I still sit here and shake my head at that. There are times when I feel so insignificant or so whatever, and something as simple as a very outdated postcard causes me to pause and remind myself that even the littlest things can mean something later on. I don't know if that does much for you, but it sure inspired my morning.

Gosh, I love old stuff.

History Rocks.


2 comments:

Beth said...

Cool!

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like a GREAT way to spend your time. I used to collect old postcards, myself. They are fascinating indeed. ENJOY your project.