Monday, August 6, 2012
Where Did I Put Those Candles?
Tomorrow our little girl turns fourteen.
Our baby. The youngest. The last one to come aboard.
I was thinking about her last night. It took exactly thirty-six minutes for her to make her entrance into this world. That should've been a sign. She's never been one to delay what needs to be done. She gets that from my grandma. She can cook, sew, and organize just like my mom. She reads constantly, is a good writer, and wants to be a social studies teacher. I suppose she gets that from me. She's got big plans and more ambition than she realizes. She's her dad all over again.
She is something else.
I was reminiscing out loud yesterday about those early days when we first brought her home and the middle visibly cringed. He knew what I was going to say before I ever said it. How protective her brothers were! The oldest, around four at the time, came to me and asked if the middle- who would have been two, was suppose to be in their baby sister's bed. In I went and there they both were... her, just weeks old and sound asleep and him, one of her big brothers, carefully keeping watch at the other end of the crib. Anywhere that baby went, they were sure to follow. That relationship may not be as obvious now, but I can assure you it's very much alive.
We knew she was going to be our last. I made it a point then to try my best not to rush the years. I hope I didn't complain too much about the bottles and diapers and toys scattered everywhere, but knowing me, I'm sure I did more often than not. Even now I look around and see stray charger cords and crumpled pop tart wrappers and random plastic lids missing from random plastic bottles. As long as there are kids in the house, they are going to make their presence known. My mom has reminded me not to rush this part either. She says once they move on, the home is never quite the same. I'm gonna trust her judgment on that one even as I look forward to evenings that don't combine the smell of tuna fish sandwiches and microwaved popcorn.
That is a smell I will not miss.
That and hair in the sink and snide remarks made through closed doors.
But the sight of the three of them together?
Now that's a sight that never gets old...
No matter how many birthdays we celebrate.
No wonder my mom likes those family pictures so much.
Labels:
family,
parenting,
pictures,
reflections,
special days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a BEAUTIFUL family you have. They grow up fast. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter.
Post a Comment