Monday, September 12, 2011

Does Laughter Really Cause Wrinkles, Or Do Wrinkles Just Cause Laughter?


Today I glanced in the rearview mirror while backing out of the drive and noticed something new. I stopped midway, put the car in park, and flipped the visor down thinking the lighted mirror would be more encouraging than the broad glare of daylight (and yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds). Obviously there was no change. It was long and very defined and slightly disturbing. I smiled. I frowned. I used my index fingers to slightly tug the skin toward each temple on either side of my face. That worked... did wonders actually, until I let go. With a heavy sigh, I flipped the mirror back up and put the car back in drive.

So this is what they call a deep crease.
A no-doubt-about-it wrinkle.
Something even cover-up won't begin to hide.

I hear some of you moaning all ready. No, this is not the first wrinkle I've noticed on my face and I know full well there are many more to come. But this one was so there, so visible as if shouting to the world, Hey! Check me out! I comforted myself with all those feel good thoughts about laugh lines and love lines and just plain old life lines. I told myself it was only really noticeable when I smiled big so either

A). It's a result from all the big smiling I do every day, or
B.) I just won't smile big anymore and no one will notice.

And for anyone that knows me, either choice would be believable depending on the day and my mood. As I sat in the park a little while later waiting for a couple of kids to join the ride home from school, my daughter took a good look at me and said, "I love your hair! It makes you look waaaaay younger than what you really are!" Feeling a sudden boost of confidence, I pointed to my new found wrinkle.

"Wow," she frowned, "and you've got one on the other side, too."
There's just no end to the laughter around here.

3 comments:

Forty Pound Sack said...

If you want to know the real deal, just ask a kid. =)

TARYTERRE said...

Kids have a way with words, don't they? Don't fret over the new found wrinkles. EBRACE them. You are wiser for the experience. By the way my hubby lost his job too. Thank goodness for Social Security. Hardly enough to get by, but we'll somehow survive. Hang in there.

Angela said...

I'm sorry to hear about the job loss. We're keeping the lights on with the husband's unemployment and our savings is covering the mortgage payments for now. Hoping, praying, BELIEVING for something to change very soon.

Thank goodness we can laugh over wrinkles! Thanks for the comments!