Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Means It's Time To Put Away The Easter Decorations

Look, we all knew this day would come.

Gone are the days of Kathie Lee & Hoda and taking care of all my cleaning on Monday. Soap operas are no more (not that I was ever really that into them, but there were days when I would like to peek through the curtains of The Bold & The Beautiful just to see what member of the Forrester family Brooke had married next). The Lord gave me just what I had been praying for: a job. Maybe not the exact job I wanted, but a job nonetheless. Now I can buy groceries without too much of a panic attack, go shopping much more than I use to, and even get the occasional pedicure which I have grown to appreciate. I actually get to talk to people outside of the feline species. But, as we all know, even the good things in life have their downfall. My downfall? The house is a disaster.

I was praising the creation of the Swiffer Duster this morning and thinking back to when I was a little girl. Dusting was never my thing and my mom always had a way of catching me take every possible shortcut. How I would cringe when I would see her walk over to a bookshelf or end table and lift up a picture frame or knick-knack of some sort! I remember the days of dusting an 8x10 of Conway Twitty and ceramic peacocks that sat on the floor. If only there had been the Swiffer then... but no matter. I don't think she would have let me get away with using that thing either. Pledge and a cloth were her cleaning tools of choice.

My weekends now consist of avoiding housework and laundry until the last possible moment. I know I should get a head start on Friday or even do a little throughout the week and believe me, my intentions are always the best. My best intentions have never been things that actually happen, though. Oh well. There's no sense fighting who I am. The front porch swing calls my name and I must answer. My friend invites me to hang out and I must go. It's as simple as that.

Today, however, I did manage to score a small victory in the name of household order. The Easter decorations have been removed (although I don't know if just putting them in a plastic bag and leaving them on the couch counts as a total victory). Baby steps, I always say. If that bag actually makes it to the attic before the Fourth of July, I would say we're in good shape. I just gotta get back in the swing of things.

And speaking of a swing...


And I promise this is an old picture.
I really do NOT still have autumn stuff on my porch;
although I would be a step ahead if I still did.  =)



1 comment:

TARYTERRE said...

Would it help to know we still have our Christmas Tree up.