Another Thanksgiving has come and gone and as much as I was dreading it, I have to admit that it was beautiful. It was just the five of us as planned, but I'm no fool... I was
very thankful to have a family for whom to prepare a meal. We sat down to a candlelit table shortly after the noon hour, the husband said a prayer that was heart-wrenching to me, and the kids dutifully answered the mom-forced question of
What Are You Thankful For? The kitchen was spotless by two o'clock and the rest of the day was spent in comfy pants in front of the television. As we turned in for the night, the husband stopped to hug me and simply said, "Thanks for taking care of me today."
In my book, it doesn't get much better than that.
My New Favorite Turkey
a thawed twelve pounder, cleaned out, rinsed and patted dry
rub (inside and out) with kosher salt, lemon zest, and rosemary the day before
stuff with quartered onions (unpeeled) and lemons and fresh thyme the day of
brush with melted butter; sprinkle with kosher salt & pepper
roast (uncovered) at 450 for forty-five minutes
kick down to 325 and start checking temperature after the first hour or so
rest for a good twenty minutes
No comments:
Post a Comment