Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving (Then & Now)

According to my Thanksgiving Week Plan (yes, I really do have one of those on my fridge) I should be setting the table and baking pies by now. Oh well. It can wait. I became slightly distracted by our now-working computer while I was cleaning the shelves above the desk. Good thing I haven't made it to Pinterest yet... I might never make it to the kitchen.

Instead I found myself dusting a framed picture of my brother and me at my wedding and thinking back to times long gone. It was a Thanksgiving Week such as this one twenty years ago that my husband and I had what could loosely be referred to as our first date. Basically we ran into each other on a Friday night and the rest is history, but the timing of that chance meeting is rather unique, not to mention a good reminder that God always has a plan.

That was my first holiday (not counting the Fourth of July and Labor Day) that I was away from my family. I was in the Air Force, in the states, but still too far from home to make the drive. To say I was depressed and homesick would be putting it lightly (gee... I haven't changed much, huh?) and I was not looking forward to a holiday feast on base. A supervisor of mine took pity and invited me to share a Thanksgiving meal with his family. I took him up on it and ended up making it a sleepover. They had small kids, I was like a big kid, and the stash of Disney movies took us well into the night. Later that evening, by now a Friday night, we all went out for dinner and that's where I recognized somebody I thought I knew. Like I said... the rest is history.

You know, I hated not being home that year and yet I was right where I needed to be.

There's not a whole lot more I can say to that.

Happy Thanksgiving to my family who will be together this weekend.
My parents. My brother and sister in-law. My nieces and great-nieces.

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends, both near and far.

Happy Thanksgiving to the family who shares these four walls with me.
You are so worth all the cooking and baking that's about to take place.

It's time I got started.

1 comment:

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm not cooking the "big dinner" this year but in years past, I too, had a "to-do" list on my fridge to keep track of things.

My siblings and mom are across the country in my hometown and I'm homesick for them so I could really relate to your post.

Happy Thanksgiving!