We see them all the time in form of headlines enticed to keep the viewer (or reader) hanging around through one more commercial or pop-up advertisement. The titles of a book or the cover of a magazine will usually determine if the contents are going to peak our interest or not. I know for my own blog, an entry I had written with the title Hot Booties had more hits in the first three minutes than anything I had ever produced (and the booties referred to slippers, by the way, not the female posterior). Anyway, I love a good title that catches my eye so when I was scrolling through facebook the other day to see what others were posting, I was more than delighted to see the following title for a fellow blogger's latest entry:
I think she has hit on a good subject... certainly makes for good discussion anyway. That title reminded me of a t-shirt I saw someone wearing in the mall. On the front, the words said DON'T GO TO CHURCH which of course made me practically break my neck to see what kind of person would wear such a thing. I was put in my place, though, when I read the back: BE THE CHURCH. Yes, there really is such a difference. So, with me being me, I had to chime in and put my own thoughts down on paper (or on a thumb drive, in this case). Why do we go (or not go) to church? We all have our reasons and we all have valid points. If you're still here and haven't already closed me out due to complete disinterest, here was my response:
Why I Go To Church
I go to church simply because I want to, not because I have to. For me, there really is a big difference. I use to be a part of the have-to crowd… that somehow God was keeping score on me and the blessings in my life would depend on my attendance record for the month and whether or not I read my Sunday school lesson for the week. I quickly (or not so quickly) learned, however, that I could do everything right and still not feel like I was quite up to par. Of course, that’s how some people want it. Some congregations can be more brutal and more competitive than the stereotypical lunch table in a junior high cafeteria.
Even so, I treasure the whole Sunday experience thing. Granted, we are in a church now that I can relate to: the songs are my grandma’s songs (Victory in Jesus, Unclouded Day), the congregation is mixed (from what they wear to where they are from), and the pastor is someone who has not been spoon-fed the Bible his entire life (not that I’m knocking the man who has known and lived his calling since the age of three, but it’s refreshing to hear someone in their 60s say from the pulpit I have been where you’ve been!). Is it about entertainment? Sometimes, yes. Does that make it more real? Most of the time, no. I am a firm believer that all that entertainment can very easily confuse the real message.
I am reminded of a woman whom I know who dances for a living (and I don’t mean the ballet either). She very enthusiastically gushed to me one day the attributes of a new church she was attending, “I love it! It’s like being at a club!” Or I think about youth groups that entice young people to attend based on themes taken straight from Hollywood. I’ve seen more than one kid disillusioned based on the raw hamburger they were encouraged to eat (Fear Factor) or the strange rap song they were admonished for not singing along with (American Idol). Just because we put the name of Jesus in neon lights or squeeze His Name into the chorus of a song does not make it all about Jesus. Lives aren’t transformed because the three-point sermon was so brilliantly spoken or the nice people at the tape table accepted our money with a “Bless You, Sister.” Lives are changed when Jesus becomes more real than the fog machines and spotlights and color-coordinated praise teams.
My living room holds none of those show-stopper entertainment gadgets and my closet is severely lacking in color-coordinating anything (that fits anyway); but my Bible sits to the left of me yearning to be read and my spirit knows that God is with me whether I kneel before him at a church altar in trendy black heels or lock myself in the bathroom with desperate petitions pouring from my heart and soiled slippers on my feet. I don’t need a church building to worship a God in Whom I firmly believe in and depend on and hope for. I want a church building to worship while I wait. My choice. His glory. It’s why I go to church.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Any thoughts of your own? I could go on, but this is probably long enough as it is.
Besides, my coffee cup is empty. Wouldn't be surprised if yours is as well.
Thanks, Donna, for the inspiration and sorry I swiped your title.
I just love a good attention grabber. =)
3 comments:
Excellent!
I stopped going to church in 1996, and found the relationship with Jesus I had been looking for all my life. (I am now 60.) Our gracious Father does not require us to do the things that we are told by other humans that we "ought to do". He just wants to love us and be loved by us. Not one thing more.
Have you ever heard of Wayne Jacobsen? He wrote a book called "So you don't want to go to church anymore" He is a friend of mine, and publisher of the controversial work of fiction "The Shack". He has a great website, and here is a letter he wrote that explains a lot of what I feel about church. BEING the church. Not going to church.
http://www.lifestream.org/bodylife.php?blid=32
There is freedom in Christ, not bondage. I love it that you choose to go to a worship service, and that you love it!!!!!
Very well said! I had a person close to me say, if you think going to this church is going to make you somebody then... I said I don't care who goes to my church, I have always gone and I love this one. Dinzel Webb once said, "There is NO church or Pastor that will get you through the gates of heaven it's your works that will get you there.
Post a Comment