Saturday, October 1, 2011

Making The Best Of It

Many, many miles away today was a small town autumn festival that I would have loved to attended. The oldest and I tossed around the idea of driving in for the weekend, but then (wisely) decided that a twenty-eight hour round trip was a little foolish for a forty-eight hour weekend. Plane tickets just made all of us laugh... $700 a pop per person. Flying last minute simply is not an option. Needless to say, we stayed put and pretty much enjoyed a Saturday nonetheless.

He (the oldest) had a quick lesson in using jumper cables early in the morning. His grandpa talked him through everything via their cell phones and it was quickly determined that the battery was junk. It took him a few hours, but he made the trip to the part store, got the right battery for his truck, and had it fired up and running with only a few glitches in between. It is still hard for me to believe that my firstborn is practically eighteen. He really is quite impressive.

The middle is fighting allergies that he thought he had left behind somewhere in the Midwest. That boy would suffer horribly every spring and fall without fail. He would miss school in the beginning and then again at the end. Nothing would completely help him except the passing of time. Then we moved south and those allergies disappeared. He commented today that he thought they had finally caught up with him. If anything, it's minor compared to what he had before, but still a nuisance. He's a trooper, though.

My youngest helped with a spur-of-the-moment, mini get-together tonight. We had a few friends over for a strictly female gathering and fixed things like cucumber sandwiches and little clubhouse-style bars (basically rolled out croissant dough with chicken on top). That girl and I will either have a great time together or a strained,  Mom, You Are So Weird time. I tried to dance with her to George Strait and she looked at me like I had lost my mind (although between you and me, I think she secretly loved it).

Oh, I wish I could have been walking those crowded festival streets with my mom halfway across the country today, but if I have learned anything, it's that life really is what we make of it. It does me absolutely no good to dwell on how things use to be if I can't enjoy the here and now. I really have nothing to complain about.

Except the job thing.
Yeah, I'm still waiting on that.
Somewhere there's a classroom that is waiting on me.

Please, Lord. Please and Thank You.

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

I want you back in Missouri. That doesn't mean God wants you there, I just wanted you to know what I want.