Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Banana Bread For Bed

I gotta say, I love evenings like this one. It's a little drizzly out (if that's even a word), it's been dark for a while now, and I'm already in my pajamas. We had a fend-for-yourself night for supper, but I redeemed myself by baking a couple of loaves of banana bread. I do believe that's the only reason my family likes bananas anyway... they wait for them to turn dark and mushy and for me to say, Well, if you're not going to eat those things I guess I'm going to have to bake bread. I swear it's a conspiracy.

The oldest is watching a documentary on the War of 1812. I love it when the kids watch this stuff not thinking much about it and then share later how much they remembered from it in history class or while taking a quiz or test. The best way to make a kid to learn is to not let them know they are learning. Seriously, though, history is fascinating when presented right. Speaking of which... I start the first of my three final classes next week and, joy of all joys, there is no textbook required. Whew. I'll take that book money and go buy me some new cowboy boots.

Or pay the electric bill. Rats. No boots for me.

The oldest just looked at me and smiled. Pretty fascinating, huh? I ask, referring to the television. He nods his head, totally engrossed in the story. I'm telling you...burning cities, death in the streets, savage amputations... I know he'll end his night with a video game marathon, but truth is always more fascinating than fiction. Tuesday night entertainment at its finest. And now Francis Scott Key is watching the Battle of Ft. McHenry. I might have to jump up in song. We did just hang a new flag outside today, you know. Wonder what the family would think if I told them to join me in the National Anthem.

Yeah. That would be a resounding No!
But it would be fun just to see the look on their faces.
I oughta get something for baking that bread.

2 comments:

teacher girl said...

You are so wise. I learn something new from you with every post. My favorite line here? "The best way to make a kid to learn is to not let them know they are learning" I'm going to chew on that for awhile...love that you make me think & evaluate my teaching. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Banana Bread & The History Channel... sounds like a great evening to me!

Have a nice day Angela. And thanks for your recent comment on my blog :-)