Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Angry Music

I'm a country girl at heart, but I tend to listen to whatever sounds good and suits my mood. Right now the middle is listening to angry music. And I do mean, ANGRY music. Thankfully, I think it was getting on his nerves, too, because he just changed it to less angry music. Little miracles everyday.

The morning has been spent searching for cheaper insurance rates, cheaper internet service, cheaper everything. I have come to the conclusion, however, that we are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cheap anything. Going any lower would completely eliminate whatever it was I'm trying to save money on. At least I tried.

Summer is slowly winding down as the kids face their last few weeks of freedom. I still can't get over how early school starts anymore. Some schools in our area head back Aug. 3, others Aug. 8. Our three have until the Aug. 15. Before that we have registrations (and none on the same day, of course), fees to pay, and supplies to buy. It's a racket, I tell you.

racket: noun, an organized legal and yet totally unfair activity, such as ridiculously long supply lists or the extortion of money from struggling families by threat of not letting your kids enroll in school.

Okay. So I tweaked the definition a little. What can I say? It's how I feel. My own supply lists were always kept to the bare minimum. Paper. Folders. Pens. Pencils. Kleenex. The rest is just personal expression. We've got lists now that require coordinated folders and tabs and highlighters and paper towels and clorox wipes and copy paper. I have to admit that for the first week or so, I completely ignore much of the list to see what we can get by with not getting.

Yes,  I've turned into one of those parents.
And yes, I know teachers buy alot (if not all) of their own supplies.
But I've taught for free and next-to-nothing and have done the same thing.
Just like in life, we make do with what we have.

Anyhoo, I've completely strayed away from the original topic of angry music. The house is quiet now except for the clicking of three separate people on three separate computers (myself included). Muffled gunfire escapes from a closed bedroom door where the latest invasion of aliens are meeting their demise. The afternoon is winding down and the time for afternoon coffee is fast approaching.

Today while making my bed, I thought Why do I want a job anyway?
I have my housework, my schoolwork, my sleepy cat.
And then I remember: school supplies, registration fees, utility bills.
Insurance, internet, phone, groceries, teenagers.

Wonder if I can spare a buck for a lottery ticket?

No comments: