Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mustang Fever

Normally I hide out on facebook and only peek around the corner once in a while to see if my mom is around. On Day Three of the kids being gone, however, I'm standing in plain sight in case one of them is missing their mom and hoping beyond hope that she'll magically pop up on facebook chat.

And if you are a non-facebooker, I realize how utterly confusing this whole scenario could be.

At any rate, I've got to chat with the girl today (although she was already chatting with five other people and me popping into her online world caused mass confusion); I've commented back and forth a few times with one boy (even though he never responded to my last comment on his comment that has left me wondering if my most recent comment was comment-worthy); and I've not heard a peep from the other boy (even though I've called out to him on his wall).

They must be having a good time without their mother.

Is it bad to say that we've had a good weekend as well? You all know I'm crazy about my kids so there's no need to defend that stand on parenting, but I must say that all is well here. Oh, the house is quiet and I've got no one to wash the dishes in the sink or take out the trash or feed the dog. But I've also had no one to answer to, which is kinda nice.

What? Kids keeping tabs on their parents? Who would've thought.

We stayed out late last night (11:45 pm) and sat up even later (2:00 am). I did some shopping with a friend and as luck would have it, that same friend was test-driving some new cars. I rode shot-gun in a brand-spanking new Mustang (off the showroom floor) and a brand-spanking new Camaro (off the hot asphalt). Everytime I was asked Do you need to get home? the answer was the same Nope. got no one to get home to.

Is it wrong for the wives to be out playing while the husbands work?

Anyway, the friendship and conversation was nice and much appreciated. At times like that I remember that I actually do have a name besides MOM. And yes, this is where the sad sigh comes in because we all know how much I love that name. I took some clean socks into my girl's room and shut the door with a heavy sigh. I put clean sheets in the boys' room and closed that door also with an even heavier sigh. Even the cat looks at me with questioning eyes.

What happened to those kids?

Oh, kitty, enjoy the quiet while it is here. We all know it won't last long. By the time they get back, we'll be getting ready for a new school year and new headaches and new rounds of drama. For now, those kids are enjoying shopping with their granny and race tracks with their pa. For a short time, they get to backtrack to the small town life that has shaped who they are, even if they think they are big city kids now. For a short time, they get to be spoiled like grandchildren should. And I can leave and stay out all day if I want. Except the husband still generates dirty clothes and the cat still leaves fur balls behind.

A mom's work is never done.

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

It's also kinda nice to be alone in the house with your husband, when it's such a rare occurrence, knowing nobody is going to barge in. Lots of things get said that normally wouldn't be said. Good things.