It's my mom's birthday.
It's also St. Patrick's Day which means I've already got pinched.
By my daughter,
Who thought it was very funny.
These mother-daughter relationships are complicated things, I'm finding out.
One day she loves me,
The next day I'm not sure she likes me.
I say No alot, but then I usually give in.
It was no to make-up, which she now wears.
Then no to my clothes; she wears them now, too.
Her room is a mess. I can walk in on any given day and find clothes (yes, sometimes mine) strewn about the room. Eyeshadow cases litter her bed and her desk is a collection of markers and nail polish and glitter.
And for the most part, I love every minute of it.
I love watching her grow and listening to her talk (she'll love that line). The way she flips her hair and snarls her nose and shakes her head. It all makes me laugh when she's not looking. She gets mad and walks off in a huff and shuts her door so everyone can hear. She's alot like me. And then she sews and creates and takes care of her brothers and me and her dad. She is my mom. She bakes cookies and washes the cat and watches for tomatoes on the vine. She's my grandma all over again.
Yep, these mother-daughter relationships are something to behold. One day, if I'm very lucky, she will look at me the way I look at my mom. Always a mother, but now a best friend. A person I can't go a day without talking to in some form or fashion. I like knowing she's there.
So Happy Birthday, Mom.
Hope you didn't get pinched.
1 comment:
*like* a lot.
Post a Comment