Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Toilet Sparkles

I do my best thinking while cleaning. Today the toilet had my attention and let me tell you, that room is spotless. There are some perks to having stuff on your mind, I guess.

I was thinking about our house last night. It was a typical evening. Every one was off in their own little virtual world. We had three computers going, one nintendo dsi glowing, and two televisions blabbering. Well, one tv was muted so I'm not sure if that counts or not. Actually I'm not even sure why that one was on. Some things just seem to come on automatically when anyone is home.

The point is that everyone was absorbed in what they were doing and I was having a minor pity party in the midst of it all. No one noticed.

Now this is not about me getting noticed or feeling like nobody cared. Part of me was glad that my tears went unnoticed. Of course, there was that other part that was screaming Hello!! Mother in need here!! But we won't spend any time on that.

I was just a little amazed that in a house full of people, we really had no idea what the other was thinking. It made me stop and wonder how many times my kids have been troubled or worried or maybe just lonely while I am busy reading or farming or deleting chain emails.

I love technology. I don't understand it all, but I love it. Webcams, instant chat, digital cameras... I love how all that keeps me in real-time touch with my family and friends, but I also miss handwritten letters and cards in the mail. An e-card, no matter how cute,  just can't compare with a Hallmark that comes in an envelope delivered straight to your mailbox.

I know when I send a card, a lot of thought goes into it. I use my best penmanship and always try to include a specific scripture verse or saying, anything to make it personal. I like things like that. I guess it's that human touch.

Maybe I'm just thinking this way because I needed that human touch last night. Maybe it's the Clorox fumes from the toilet bowl cleaner. Who knows.

But I think I will make an extra effort to be more conscious about what's going on around me. I would hate to miss out anybody's pity party.

Especially if it's right in my own living room.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That was beautiful and touching.