Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Soap for Lunch

I'm sitting here watching Nikki fall off the wagon on The Young and the Restless. She's crying about how she has been sober for seventeen years and doesn't understand how she could start drinking again. Funny that I can relate to that. Not necessarily the sober part, but the soap opera part. I've been soap opera free for fifteen years myself. What happened?

Normally I would have been working and besides, we all know that you can skip years on a soap and still perfectly understand what's going on when you randomly happen to tune in. Even during the summer when I was off with the kids, I never really felt the urge to sit around and watch tv all day. Typically once the Price is Right is over, the tv goes off. Heck, I'm not even an Oprah fan. Afternoon television has never done much for me.

Blame it on reading. I've been so engrossed in the same book for four weeks now that I've little time for anything extra. Usually I read while I eat lunch. Lately, though, to take a break from reading, I've been keeping company with the Newman family and I have to admit that I'm just a little more than intrigued.

When did Victoria change? Nick and Sharon aren't together anymore? Crickett is still around? And I thought Paul was the love of her life? Kathryn is married and apparently has a long, lost son that nobody really likes. Oh, and the same with Victor. His family tree alone must be a work of art.

I know, I know. I could be doing so much more with my time but in all fairness, the laundry gets folded, a question gets researched, and today... well, blogs and emails have shared the recliner with my remote and a pepperoni hot pocket. I would call that time well spent.

Besides, between my muting the steamy parts and ignoring the new characters in which I am clueless and/or not interested in, Nikki is really the only one who catches my attention. She really needs to get off that booze.

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

Young and the Restless is the only soap I ever got hooked on, thanks to our ex-daughter-in-law living with us at the time. I watched it for four or five years, even taping episodes when I was at work. Now I wonder what the big deal was. Nikki is married to the producer, I believe. So she will always be on the show. I don't think she had a booze problem when I watched the show, but Katherine did.