Sunday, February 8, 2015
The Calendar Shows No Mercy
Last Friday I received a somewhat frantic call from the home front that went something like this,
Our internet has been shut off.
Now I won't give away the family member with the noticeable tremor in the voice, but suffice it to say, there was the faintest whisper of terror at the suggestion of no Netflix for the weekend. I was still at work trying to get a handle on a stack of papers to grade, but I did pause for a moment to ponder the situation.
When did I last pay that bill?
Through the power of mobile banking, a quick check revealed that last time was, in fact, December.
December?
December.
No wonder they cut that baby off.
When I tell you that my life turned upside down the moment my dad left this world, I mean it. I can't seem to focus on anything of importance, I obviously have lost all track of time, and things that use to be at the top of my to-do list (paying bills, for instance) have fallen by the wayside. I think things I shouldn't, visualize things I shouldn't, and (truth be told) say things I shouldn't. It's like the back end of a roller coaster car got knocked off track and I, the only passenger, am praying like crazy that I don't go tumbling down with it. As much as I love a good thrill ride, I am ready to put this one to rest.
Needless to say, one phone call later and a rather swift withdrawal of funds through the wonder of electronic banking, our internet was back on before the signs of withdrawal became too evident and it's a good thing...
One unstable person at a time is all we can handle around here.
Labels:
craziness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad your internet is back on. This just slipped your mind. No big deal. It happens. Do not be too hard on yourself. Adjusting to life takes time after the loss of a loved one. How much time is an individualized thing.
Post a Comment