Friday, March 29, 2013

My Secret To A Happy Life (When I'm Not Complaining, That Is)

I woke up with two, make that three thoughts in my head:

1). Good grief, it's after ten o'clock already?
2). My gosh, that felt good to sleep in.
3). Good Lord, it's Good Friday.

Look, my thoughts don't run too deep when I first wake up. All I can tell you is that I heard a lock turn on the front door, found myself stretching in the middle of an otherwise empty bed, and reached for my glasses to see the time. I didn't get up right away; I stayed put and soaked in the moment for a bit. There wasn't a whole lot of thinking going on.

I do have a lot before me today. There's a pile of laundry on the washer, a pile of laundry beside my bed, and I'm pretty sure a pile of laundry in the bathroom. I want to clean the house, polish the floors, and remove the hairball from beside the computer chair. I've got flowers waiting to be planted, a grocery list to be checked off, and a pesky fountain pump outside that needs to be fixed. Oh, and there's the two porches and swing and rocking chairs sporting that fine, yellow pollen...

So why am I still sitting here?

I'm taking in the moment, my friend.

Earlier in the week, a friend and I were talking about how people get so busy with their lives, the idea of having fun seems foreign and something they have to plan into their schedule. She was talking about the fun that happens with her family all the time... games, bowling, stuff like that. I'll admit that I'm not the best at that kind of fun, but one thing I am pretty good at is knowing how to appreciate any given moment of any given day. Some might call that laziness. I call it a very good system.

Like today. I know what this day represents to me and my faith. I don't have a Bible open before me and I don't have the highest of Christian vocabularies, but when I have to pause from typing to wipe a tear away from my eye and my heart chokes up a bit due to an emotion that I cannot describe to you... well, I don't even know what to say. Without this day, I would be a hopeless mess.

I am a sinner. I'm lousy at church attendance.
I don't read a devotion every morning.

I complain. I whine. I doubt.

But there is Someone. Someone who knows me better than myself. Someone who knows that once I peel back the cares of this world and get past the imperfections of this body, I'll find peace. Peace that could only come about because of a Man and His WILLINGNESS to take MY mess upon Himself and turn it into something beautiful.

There truly is no greater love.

So yes.

I sit and think about all I need to do.
I sit and think about all I need to know.

Only then will I get up and get busy.

It's a system, and it works well for me.







No comments: