Monday, January 7, 2013

Signs Your Mind Might Be Slipping

This morning I sat in the midst of a huge, scrap-metal junkyard / recycling kind of place and thought to myself, "I really need to get out of the house more." I had no idea such places existed. Surrounded by massive, moving machinery and watching men in hard hats maneuver swinging cranes this way and that, the unsolicited image of Bob the Builder infiltrated my mind. I had sudden impulses to see if the bulldozers had round eyeballs where the headlights might be. I half expected Bugs Bunny to pop his head out of a hole only to duck quickly at the sight of Elmer Fudd and his rifle peeking around a mountain of metal.

I swear I'm okay, Mom.

All the sights and sounds at the junkyard did fascinate me, however. No wonder kids are so attracted to that kind of stuff, whether in real life or in the animated form. I can remember years back watching my two youngest kids sitting outside on a sidewalk, ice-cream in hand, watching the city street crews dig a trench for new water pipes. That was better than television for them. Even today, if it's got wheels and power, the oldest will pause whatever he's doing to investigate (of course, it's gotta sound like it's got power, if you know what I mean). Granted, that's in his blood. We come from a motor-oriented family.

At any rate, the weather is chilly and I'm going through the I can't stay warm mode. Pretty sad considering it's in the fifties, I think. It's the wind that does it for me. That and a lack of sunshine streaming through the windows. January has never been my favorite month. Or February. Things really don't perk up to mid-March as far as I'm concerned.... and even that seems a ways off.

This is probably why that scrapyard captivated me so.

Who wants to bet my dreams are animated tonight?

No comments: