Friday, February 24, 2012

Didn't The Wicked Witch Of The East Die Under A House?

Not that I consider myself wicked or a witch, mind you, I just remember those shoes of hers sticking out from under Dorothy's house.

Here's my dilema in the midst of a severe thunderstorm... would I rather be crushed or trapped under the house (my words) or sucked out through the top of the house (my husband's words)? We have this discussion every time a storm blows through and today one hit just after lunch time. The husband had his shoes on ready to go under the house while I eyed the computer desk thinking that's where I'd hang out- underneath it, of course. Now before you ready to tell me what you think, let me describe the situation.

We don't have a basement, but you can walk under the house and for at least half of it, stand up straight (and it is closed in, just so you know). It's all sand underneath with lots and lots of storage space. On the flip side, the computer desk sits in the middle of the house next to a stone fireplace and no windows in sight. The root of this dilemma is that I have a very profound fear of being trapped somewhere, plus I'm a little bit claustrophobic. I can ride an elevator, but I hate every second of the ride. I can go in a cave, but I don't enjoy any of it. We all have our little quirks, right?

Anyway, we kept an eye on the sky and the radar and ended up never leaving the living room. We were on the north end of the storm (that did end up spawning a tornado, by the way) and by the time it roared through, all we had were some limbs on the ground and a shed door blown in. The discussion over where to hide out, though, continued on. So, other than praying and believing Psalm 91, where would you go?

5 comments:

Beth said...

Any ditches or gullies nearby?

Angela said...

Nope. And the bathtub is on an outside wall, by the way. The thing is that I grew up in tornado country in the Midwest and honestly never thought much about it till the husband came along.

Beth said...

I read that in the event of a tornado or earthquake or other home crumbling disaster, you should hide someplace where the structures falling around you will form a triangle. For example. In my bedroom, i would crouch on the floor, next to the wall, in hopes that if the roof blows away, and the wall falls over, it will lean on my bed and form a triangle air space/cubby hole that will keep me alive until someone can get the wall off of me. Based on this idea, children are taught to crouch beside their desks, instead of underneath them. That's what i read. I've never been in that sort of disaster, which is miraculous in light of the fact that i have spent some 20 years of my life in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, or Oklahoma. I do know, however, that if your house is on fire, you should go outside, even if there's a tornado outside. But that probably wasn't your question. :D

TARYTERRE said...

I read something similar to what Beth said. A rescuer who had saved thousands of peoples lives said, "When things fall inward in the whirlwind of a storm, they tend to leave small pockets of space next to BIG objects. That's where he found survivors in the worst case scenarios. Hidden in those pockets of space next to a dresser, desk, table, etc. Glad the storm, you encountered went on it's way with no harm done. Being PREPARED is the key. Take care.

Angela said...

Beth, you crack me up. Ha!

Thanks for the info, though. I'll pass it along to the hubby the next time the wind starts to blow.

And you know, it is one thing to think of where I could hide, but when you think of the whole family being home... and hoping you have enough time... sheesh. Thank God for GOD. I don't like to worry about things that haven't happened, but like Taryterre says, I do like to be prepared.

And I was never crazy about that twisted OZ movie anyway. ;)