While drinking a cup of Millstone's Foglifter coffee, I have determined that it's the kind of coffee that lifts no fog. Maybe it's just the fact that it was given such a bold name... surely nothing could live up to that. Even so, it's got the tiniest touch of a bitter aftertaste and that always ruins it for me. I'll finish what I have, but will not venture down the Foglifter path again. This is why I always have on hand a few other choices to balance out the not-so-great cup with an awesome one (referring to k-cups and a Keurig here). Every time I think I have a favorite, a new one comes along. For this go 'round, Tulley's Extra Bold Breakfast Blend takes the cake. It's right up there with my other top picks: Van Houtte's Mexico, Starbucks' French Roast Dark, and Folgers Black Silk. One thing is for certain, you ever stop by my house in the morning, you're guaranteed a good cup of coffee (unless you like that weak stuff... I could always water it down for you, but honestly, I don't think we'd have much in common).
Today all three kids are home from school in honor of Presidents' Day and like most kids, they don't care why they have the day off as long as they have the day off. Funny how we have little kids color pictures of Washington and Lincoln and tell the usual feel-good stories about these men and that's about as far as it ever gets. Now I'm not bashing either guy, but like anyone else, there's always more to the story than what the generic history book records. Truth is more fascinating than fiction, you know. Washington has been recorded as growing marijuana for the value of the hemp and the good of the soil (so they say) and Lincoln's ambitions leaned more to what was popular in the political realm rather than the rising demand for equality (doesn't every politician go for the vote?). This is why I like to combine biographies with the history of any particular person or event. You gotta have more than one perspective, people.
Yesterday we went and saw the second Sherlock Holmes movie. For our tight-budgeted family (aka cheap), we like to wait till a movie hits the dollar theatre ($1.99, that is) and hit the Dollar Tree that's conveniently located close by. Between the tickets, the candy, and the nachos I cannot watch any movie without, four of us can have a good time for $20.00. Notice I said four of us... it's getting to where the five of us are rarely together except for when we sit around the dinner table at home. Anyway, even a trip to the dollar theatre is a treat (we don't do it that often) and not counting the five women who came in late and made it a point to squish in beside us with their oversized pocketbooks and long umbrellas (did they not see the ROWS of empty seats in front of us?)... well, we still enjoyed the whole experience. Along with the first movie, I would highly recommend this second one.
I look back over this post and laugh to myself. Let's see...
I've reviewed several kinds of coffee, two presidents, and a movie.
All this expertise and no job. Ha! I'm on to my second cup.
Happy Monday! =)
5 comments:
I prefer milder roast coffee. But i'll still be your friend. :)
And wouldn't it be fun to sit together to have that cup of coffee?! =)
Sure would! :)
I will try any coffee. I prefer drinking with someone. Your uncle is getting the hand of the Kuerig,
so we can sip together. Didn't know
you liked Sherlock Holmes.
I didn't know you all had a Keurig. Does Uncle Ray drink coffee or tea? Sure do miss you all.
Post a Comment